Tahira S. Khan
Fall 2018: Thursday 2:15-4:15 PM
Ph.D. – University of Denver, 1995.
M.A. Political Science – Villanova University, 1981.
M.A. History – Quaid-I-Azam University, 1978.
Interests and Research
Dr. Tahira S. Khan specializes in political and social history of modern South Asia with particular focus on gender and women’s rights issues in Pakistan. Her research publications encompass the topics of gender and politics, gender and Islam and violence against women. To her credit are numerous scholarly articles and a book entitled Beyond Honour: A Historical Materialist Explanation of Honour Related Violence (Oxford University Press 2006). Dr. Khan is working on the next book project which traces history of women’s secular and Islamic activism in Pakistan (1970 to present).
- Pakistan in Modern South Asia: 1924-Present
- Gender and Islam in South Asia and Middle East (1900-Present)
Editorial Review Boards of International Journals
- Human Rights and Human Welfare (International Review Newsletter) published by Joseph Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver.
- Social Identities Journal University of California, Riverside Department of Sociology.
- Pakistan Perspectives Quarterly Journal Published by Pakistan Study Center, University of Karachi, Karachi Pakistan.
- Oxford University Press Pakistan: Member Review Board for Manuscripts.
International Women/Human Rights Organizations
- Convenor of Task Force on Women’s Participation in Political Processes (WPPP) of Asia Pacific Forum on Women Law and Development (APWLD) Chiangmai Thailand (1999-2005).
- Member of Asia Pacific Forum on Women Law and Development (APWLD), based in Chiangmai, Thailand,1998-to-date.
- Member of Organizing Committee Women in Power Program at APWLD (2013).
- Vice President of Irteqa Institute of Social Sciences Karachi Pakistan, 2000-2004.
- Member of Women’s World March Network based in Montreal Canada, 1999-to-date.
- Member of National Working Committee, for the improvement of shelters for women in Pakistan sponsored by the Ministry of Social Welfare/Women and Development Islamabad (1998-2000).
Beyond Honour: A Historical Materialist Explanation of Honour Related Violence(Oxford University Press 2006)
Articles & Chapters
“Policing, Law and Women’s Rights in Pakistan,” in Hassan Abbas (edi) Stabilizing Pakistan Through Police Reforms (New York: Asia Society) 2012
“Collation of Laws on Women’s Political Participation: Pakistan Report” Published by Asia Pacific Women Law and Development Forum Thailand 2003
“Gender and Politics: Training Manual” General Contributor. Published in May 2002 by Asia Pacific Women Law and Development, Chiangmai, Thailand
“Honor Killings in Pakistan” in Forum Quarterly, published by Asia Pacific Women Law and Development March 2002, Chiangmai, Thailand (Available online)
“Report of The Commission of Inquiry for Women, Pakistan 1997: An Evaluation” in Pakistan Perspectives (Research Journal) Vol. 4. No. 2 July December 2000, Pakistan Study Center University of Karachi, Karachi
“Honor Killings in Pakistan: A Definitional and Contextual Overview.” Paper presented at the International Conference in Istanbul Turkey, March 9, 2000 (Available online)
“Violence against women” Op-ed article published in the Daily DAWN (English) Karachi Pakistan on April 18, 1999
“Wedding Hells: Marriage-related Violence against young women and men in Pakistan” Research article published on March 8, 1999, International Women’s Day, in the Weekly Review Karachi Pakistan
“Pakistan-Belgium Economic Ties: A Historical Survey.” in A.A. Kadeer and N.A. Tahir (eds) Pakistan - Europe Ties in Contemporary Setting. University of Karachi, Karachi: 1988.
“Religion and Politics in Nineteenth Century Europe.” in Journal of European Studies, Summer 1987, University of Karachi, Karachi.
“Leonardo Da Vinci: The Creator of Mona Lisa.” in Journal of European Studies, Winter 1986, University of Karachi, Karachi.